This week’s theme is Five Senses. We’re focusing on activities that will help Lorelai understand how her body works and picks up on different things. We did this homemade slime activity after we talked about different textures and how one can feel them. She walked around our home and touched different surfaces, then told me what they felt like. At first she was like, “It feels like a wall!” (LOL) and I asked her what the wall felt like. “Bumpy and rough.” We did this for about 5 minutes, then started the slime activity.
This was insanely easy and lots of fun. Lorelai smiled and giggled pretty much the entire time. She talked about how slimy it was and when I asked her if it felt like troll snot (I’m totally that mom) she chortled and came back with, “Ahhhhh-choo!” and plopped the slime back down into the bowl. The consistency gets pretty thick after a while and it becomes less slime-like and more jello-dough-ish. Make it, you’ll understand what I’m talking about. It didn’t bother Lorelai one bit and she continued to play with it for a while. We’ll definitely be making this one again!
What You’ll Need:
- 1/2 Cup of Water
- 1 Tsp. of Borax (found in the laundry section of any store)
- Elmers Glue (we used clear, white will work as well)
- Water (to fill the glue bottle with after)
- Food Coloring (optional)
- Stirring Spoon
- 2 Bowls
- In a small bowl, add 1/2 cup of warm water & 1 tsp of borax. Stir to dissolve, then set aside.
- In a medium size bowl, empty an entire (regular size) container of glue.
- Fill the glue bottle back up with water and squirt (or pour) into the bowl of glue. I vote squirt- it’s much more fun!
- Add some food coloring in if you want some color.
- Mix, mix, mix with a spoon.
- Add in the borax mixture. You will immediately see globs.
- Make sure you have your child lift the slime up as it’s beginning to form so you can see the consistancy. It’s very goopy and slimy at first, but the more you play with it, the firmer it gets. =)
- Feel free to dig in with your hands whenever!
- Please make sure your child doesn’t eat this. It’s not that toxic but borax isn’t something you want your child to consume!!
- Clean-up was very easy. Some poured onto her table when it was being mixed and I just sprayed it with my all-purpose cleaner and wiped it off. Try to keep it off of the carpet and furniture. The solution jellies up so it probably won’t stick too well, but the food coloring might stain if it’s left there too long. Lorelai dropped a few pieces on the floor and I just picked them up when we were done. Nothing was left on the carpet and it wasn’t stained (but it also wasn’t stepped on/smushed).
- Storing is very simple! Just put it in a ziplock bag and pop it in the fridge. I’ve heard it will grow mold if it’s left out, so definitely keep it cool. =)
- NOTE: A little extra liquid in the bowl is totally normal! Just separate the slime out and play!