Last week, our little family traveled down to the coast to have a beach day. We were all looking forward to the trip out of town, the wavy beach, and hot sand. What I didn’t expect to see were a bunch of brown pelicans fishing over the water. I sat under the umbrella for hours just watching them circle and dive – it was so neat to see.
Lorelai and I crafted this pelican about a week before our trip. (And by “I” I mean, I supervised and help cut out any tricky parts… she mostly did it by herself.) She wanted the body to be gray and the beak and feet orange. Since we were out of gray, she used silver glitter paint. It turned out really cute!
Facts About Pelicans:
- Pelicans are carnivorous birds.
- They fish in groups – either by swimming together or flying and diving (brown pelicans).
- They live to be between 15-25 years or more!
- Their wingspan can get to be up to 10 feet!
- They weigh around 30 lbs.
- There are many different species of penguins, but all of them have the famous throat pouch for which they are best known.
- Pelicans catch the fish in their pouches and then swallow them almost immediately. They do not store food there.
- Read more facts about pelicans here.