Oh he looks surprised and nonplussed all at the same time. =) This is the grizzly bear craft Lorelai painted last week and I am just now getting around to blogging. I swore I was done with the Endangered Animals unit, but it looks like I missed a couple. =) We did a cartoon-y bear craft a long time ago, as well as a polar bear using the same template. I wanted to do a more realistic bear this time. I think he came out so cute! The printable is super easy. The legs are left attached to the body since there wasn’t enough room to detach them while still keeping the craft to one page. Print below and enjoy!
Facts About Grizzly Bears
- While grizzly bears aren’t endangered, they are threatened. There are estimated to be only about 1,000 grizzly bears left in the wild.
- Grizzly bears are a North American sub-species of the brown bear.
- Grizzly bears are often seen at prime Alaskan fishing spots, where they feast to eat enough fats to sustain them through the winter.
- Grizzly bears hibernate in the winter. They dig dens in the hillside. Females give birth during this time, usually to twins.
- Grizzly bears are powerful predators, though they eat a wide variety of food. Nuts, seeds, berries, fish, rodents, and moose!
- They can weigh up to 800 lbs, grow from anywhere between 5 and 8 feet, but despite their size, they are fast runners! They have been clocked at 30 mph!
- Read more about grizzly bears here.
Video – long documentary on grizzlies. (Warning: parts may be graphic)