When we spottted this bird on a recent trip to the zoo, Lorelai (my soon-to-be 8 year-old) and I immediately wrote it down on our craft list. This is such a neat bird and is very big! The craft looks almost exactly like the real thing — something Lore just commented on when I was looking up facts. =) Print our free template below and enjoy!
Facts About Rhino Hornbills
– They live in the rainforests of Indonesia & Asia.
– Rhinoceros Hornbills are one of the larger hornbill species.
– The “horn” on their head is actually called a casque.
– Their casque is formed from the same material as our fingernails!
– The purpose of the casque is said not to be for looks — it’s supposed to help their calls reach further in the rainforest.
– Read more about Rhinoceros Hornbills here.
Leave a Reply