Having grown up near several farms, there was never a short abundance of opossums. They were the stuff of nightmares to my 10-year-old self. Of course, I only saw them threatened and scared – hissing and snapping their long teeth. We saw a tame(ish) opossum at an animal exhibit during a children’s festival last year. When they aren’t hissing and angry, they can be quite cute.
Lorelai was happy to see this printable waiting for her a few days ago… especially since she’s the one that requested it! She chose to paint her opossum a sparkly gray. It turned out really cute! Print below and enjoy!
Facts About Opossums
- Opossums, commonly known as ‘possums’, are the only marsupial (pouched mammal) found in North America.
- Opossums give birth to up to 20 tiny young that immediately crawl to the mother’s pouch where they continue to grow and develop.
- Opossums are scavengers and often raid garbage cans, dumpsters, and roadkill. They also like to eat mice, insects, birds, worms, snakes, and even chickens.
- Opossums are famous for “playing possum” – when they feel threatened, theey flop onto their sides and pretend to be dead until they get an opportunity to escape.
- Opossums are great tree climbers. Their long claws help dig into the bark.
- To read more about opossums, please go here
Video About Opossums
Love the Opossum! Hard to find possie things. I’m a rehabber, I have 4 due to release soon. Great site. Thanks 🙂