Homemade play dough is such a fun and easy project to do with young children. I’ve made it numerous times with Lorelai in the past ~ this is the last recipe we used. We tried out a new Kool-Aid Playdough recipe today and it turned out really well. It’s definitely my favorite so far. The texture was fantastic as far as homemade playdough goes, and it makes a pretty big batch. Oh, and it only takes a couple of minutes!!
Lorelai had a play date this morning with some of her little friends from our playgroup. We went to a nearby park and had a “playdough party” and played on the playground.
Homemade Kool-Aid Playdough Recipe:
- 2.5 cups of All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 cup of Salt
- 2 packets of unsweetened kool-aid (we used blue)
- 2 cups of water
- 3 tablespoons of oil (we used vegetable)
- Mix all of the dry ingredients together in a large bowl. (Flour, Salt, Kool-Aid)
- In a pot, bring your water to a boil. Add vegetable oil.
- Carefully pour the boiling water into the bowl with the flour mixture.
- Mix with a spoon until it’s combined well.
- Allow to cool for a few minutes.
- Once it’s cool enough to handle, continue mixing and kneading with your hands until all of the flour is incorporated.
Note: My consistency was a little off because I added a smidgen too much flour. It’s easily fixed, though! If it’s too wet, add a little bit of flour and re-mix. If it’s too dry, add a little bit more water and mix. See? Very easy!
This recipe is non-toxic. Store in a baggie or container in the fridge to keep it fresh longer.
If you want to make more than one color, I advise just doubling the recipe, but mixing in different containers. The kool-aid has to be added with the dry ingredients. The boiling water is what liquifies the kool-aid and helps color the playdough. If you mix the kool-aid in at the end, it won’t liquify and color the play dough as well, if that makes any sense. So put the dry mixtures into two different bowls (or however many) and just boil all of the water together and measure it out when you go to mix.
Keep up to date with all of our fun crafts & recipes by following us on our Facebook Page!
Thanks. My kids loved it!
I like this recipe cause the coolaid makes vibrant colors. Ty, I will definitely try this with my grandson’s..