Sun-catchers are fun and very simple to make… we make it a point to do one for each holiday. We did this one last year for Valentines Day, but I had just free-handed it. This printable version is MUCH easier! I also cut hearts out of the tissue paper instead of squares. Lorelai LOVED it!
What We Used:
- Cardstock – 2 printed templates
- Wax Paper
- Red Tissue Paper
What To Do:
- Print out 2 identical sheets of the same heart template.
- Cut out the INSIDE of each heart, so that you will have a little “window” to create the suncatcher. Do this to both sheets.
- NOTE: At this point, you’re going to want to look at your heart templates and figure out how they line up and how to glue everything ahead of time. My printer doesn’t print dead-center, so the pieces were NOT interchangeable. If I hadn’t glued correctly, the windows wouldn’t have lined up and the craft would have been a fail. I only mention this because I DID mess up the first time and I had to re-print and re-glue one side. =)
- Cut out 2 sheets of wax paper that will cover the heart hole. Glue down one sheet of wax paper to the bottom heart.
- Cut out small squares/hearts of tissue paper. The easiest way to do this is to fold a sheet of tissue paper in half a bunch of times.
- Add glue over the (wax paper covered) heart hole and have your child glue down the pieces of tissue paper.
- Glue down the other sheet of wax paper, so that the tissue paper is sandwiched between two pieces of wax paper.
- Glue down the top template, printed side up.
- Lastly, trim down the paper as much as you want, and decorate!
Voila, a beautiful suncatcher!